the end of yet another summer holiday

11.8.15 noelle 0 Comments


Summer is drawing to a close yet again. The weather can be quite deceiving in Florida, but alas, there is nearly one month until Autumn arrives and pumpkin everything becomes available in a store near you. I've come to the conclusion that the end of this stifling season is incredibly bittersweet.

Senior year not only means my final 9 months in high school, but an entire string of "lasts" that make me want to cherish all of the little moments.



  • I will most likely be living at a university by this time next August, which makes this my last year at home. The dorm rooms I've seen are more like hotels with all of the amenities you can imagine, but I'll still miss the home-cooked meals and company of my family.



  • Although I'll always be a kid at heart--giant stuffed animals and sparkly Minnie Mouse ears included--I turn 18 at the end of December. This is a concept that has always been foreign to me. All of a sudden I can have a credit card, vote, buy a lottery ticket, lease my own house, and even take a trip to Vegas. Talk about superpowers, huh?



  • The biggest one: this is the last time my life will be exactly how it is now. It's hard to explain if you're a live-in-the-moment kind of person, but coming from someone who plans everything, so much change happening in a short period of time is completely overwhelming.


Picturing all of these things (and more) happening within a 12-month stretch is something I have a hard time wrapping my mind around. I suppose I'm grateful though--now I only cherish the little things even more.


Officially, I still have a few days left to enjoy my summer holiday. Then it's back to classes, schedules, and responsibilities I've somehow managed to leave behind for the past 3 months. Complaining about the return to school is almost a rite of passage to the modern-day child, but I'm looking forward to this year more than ever. It will be one of firsts, lasts, and and any other things that reveal themselves.


Any highlights of your summer holiday? What amazing things are going planning to do this year?

You Might Also Like

0 comments :